25th Annual CiCea International Conference 2024
Please Note: While we strongly suggest adhering to currently posted deadlines, note that they remain subject to change/extension.
Education, Citizenship and Social Change: Building Bridges
Thursday 13 - Saturday 15 June, 2024
It is our great pleasure to announce and invite abstract submissions for the 25th CiCea International Conference “Education, citizenship and social change: building bridges”, that will be held at Malmö University in Malmö, Sweden, Thursday 13th to Saturday 15th June, 2024. The conference is organized by the Children’s Identity & Citizenship European Association (CiCea), one of the leading organizations promoting the teaching and research of Citizenship Education in Europe and the rest of the world and Malmö University known for its global engagement, community involvement, and a multidisciplinary, challenge-based approach to education, research, and collaboration.
One of the most significant challenges for any democratic society is to empower young people to become lifelong engaged and active citizens. The theme for the 2023 Cicea conference, “Education, citizenship and social change: building bridges”, highlights how education connects to and can encourage social and political action and change and further promote emancipatory engagement and leadership in both formal and informal contexts. The conference aims to focus on and to build bridges between theory and practice and connect different institutional levels of education, and diverse forms of civic engagement.
We welcome papers examining this theme, including but not limited to:
- Building bridges between theory and practice
- Empirical, philosophical, methodological and/or conceptional aspects of education, citizenship and social change
- How and in what ways education can encourage young people to engage in social action both locally and globally and promote active citizenship
- We are also very keen to receive papers focusing on all other aspects of citizenship education and values from around the world exploring curriculum design, pedagogy, psychology, youth identities, law, human rights, history education, and policy-making.
The conference is supported by the journal Citizenship Teaching & Learning. Conference papers of good quality will be referred to the journal for consideration for publication. Our intention is to host an international conference with insights and perspectives from around the world. We welcome individuals and groups (academic associations, professional bodies, charities, NGOs, etc.) that represent a wide range of commitment to youth activism, engagement, and education.
If you wish to be considered for the 2024 Conference, please submit an abstract of no more than 300 words via the CiCea/CitEdEV proposal link [see below] by or before the abstract submission deadline(s) listed below. This conference accepts papers in English only.
Proposals are invited on the conference themes. Participation in the conference can take several different forms:
|Papers||are presented as a standard presentation, for which you will have 15 minutes with time for questions and discussion.|
|Symposia||will consist of a collection of three-to-four linked papers, presented by a group together.|
|Workshops||are interactive 90 minute sessions.|
|Virtual Paper||Click here for CiCea's Virtual Paper Presentation Guidelines for 2023.|
PLEASE NOTE: For a panel symposium, you must submit an abstract outlining the overview of the panel and short abstracts for each of the contributing papers.
Link for Abstract Submission: Please CLICK HERE TO SUBMIT YOUR ABSTRACT.
Conference Booking Fees
|DELEGATE FEES||Early Bird||Regular|
|All delegates who are not members of CiCea||€280||€310|
|Delegates who are members of CiCea||High GDP||€175||€200|
|Delegates who are members of CiCea||Low GDP*||€135||€160|
|Research Students who are members of CiCea (Please provide evidence of your student status -e.g., valid student ID or a letter from your department.)||€ 90||€110|
|Research Students who are not members of CiCea||€150||€170|
|Virtual Paper: Non-CiCea members||€ 70||€ 90|
|Virtual Paper: CiCea Members||€ 30||€ 40|
** Low GDP Countries eligible for registration fee reduction are:
- African Countries
- Asian Countries (exceptions: Bahrain, Brunei Darussalam, Hong Kong, SAE, Israel, Japan, Republic of Korea, Kuwait, Macau SAR, Singapore, UAE)
- Latin American Countries (exception: Bahamas)
- The following European Countries: Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, The Republic of North Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Turkey and Ukraine.
- 20 December 2023
First deadline for submitting abstracts
- 31 January 2024
Notification for the acceptance of abstracts
- 17 March, 2024
Early Bird Registration Deadline
- 10 May, 2024
Regular Registration Deadline
This project event/conference is open to the public. We look forward to receiving your abstracts and having you be a part of this year’s exciting CiCea conference in Malmo Sweden this upcoming June 13-15th 2024.
A slightly lighter version of the information above can also be downloaded in pdf format by CLICKING HERE.